Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Just came home from Small Group

Just came home from small group where we discussed living a legacy in front of our children. I like a quote they gave from Dennis Rainey that states "the legacy you were handed is not as important as the legacy that you will leave." This is so true and important. Considering that after 30 years I realized the only legacy my parents left were a legacy of lies and betrayal, I am so thankful that I have the ability to change the way my children think of the family we have become.

So many people feel that their life should reflect their family, and to some extent this is true, however it is also important to reflect who you have become as a family as well. We grow up with certain traditions, yet when we begin to raise our own family we begin to see what works for us, what will be new for us, and what we feel is not as important as what our parents felt were important.

It amazes me to see people falling into a state of tradition that they dread doing every year. Maybe it is the independence factor of being the only child, but if I don't like doing something, why continue? Why not change things to benefit my family instead of going with tradition because someone refused to break the mold?

I enjoy the quote from Elenor Roosevelt that states "No one can make you feel inferior unless you give them permission." I hope that my children can take this statement to heart and realize that being unique is far more important that being just another body. God gives us so many talents, responsibilities, and gumption that it is sad to see it wasted on people who are not willing to utilize those gifts.

After that little soapbox episode, I can say that beyond thinking about my children and how they will grow as adults, there is not too much going on here. Things are beginning to settle down and summer has finally started to kick in. Could use a little less rain, but know that it ultimately benefits us, so I can't complain!

That's all for now, hope you like the ponder moment, brought to you by me!!

No comments: